It’s that time of year again…. SHARK WEEK. If you’re anything like us, the ocean makes you a little nervous right around now (what do you mean the Megalodon doc was fake?) but don’t let that keep you out of the water altogether. With Boon Inc. Dive Bath Appliques and Yikes Twins Shark Towels inject bath time with some sharp, shark week friendly accessories. Or maybe you’re a little extra inquisitive about what’s hiding in the deep; there’s A Strange Place to Call Home, Love the Earth, and What Animals Really Like to sate your curiosity. And of course, there’s plenty of nautically inspired outfits to put together. We’re especially into Native’s JeffersonSlip-On, La Miniatura’s Ocean Blue Jeans, and Beatrix’s Shark Gear. There’s so much to take a bite out of for shark week, you might need a bigger shopping cart!
Babesta has been looking for heroes to look over NYC!
Recently, we have received two Superheroes that promised to devote their lives to keep our children safe!
These two cuddly superheroes promise to become best friends with as many children they meet!
Superman Babo and Ice Bat promise to be the best friend & hero!
Click the photo for our Superhero Ugly Dolls!
We here at Babesta are very busy trying to organize pictures for our catalog (the release date is a secret!), and everyone has been helping out! We have been smooth-sailing, so our summer is awesome! Thanks for asking.
Everyone is probably going to the park, to work, to the pool, to bbq’s, and spending a lot of time outside! However, we bet that some of us forgot to apply sunblock most of the time!! The sun has been shining bright, warming us all up and tanning/sunburning our skin. But do not fear! We here at Babesta decided to introduce our summer hats that will be very useful for the summertime (and all seasons!).
We picked out three awesome summer hats that come in all sizes and colors! Our adorable trucker hats, fedoras, and awesome character caps really will not only liven up our kids’ outfits but will block the sun’s harmful UV rays from their faces!
1. Trucker Hats: $18 USD
Gray and Red Trucker Hats!!
Both our lovely boys and girls will look awesome donning a cute trucker hat! These hats will be great for playgrounds due to the adjustable straps. These hats will be comfortable and stylish!
2. Goorin’s Lil Hagar Plaid Fedora- only $15 USD
Goorin’s Plaid Fedora looking stylish!
Once again for both boys and girls, these Fedoras will look so stylish with simple attires, such as a white tank top and black shorts. Fedoras are just too adorable and chic. These can also be paired with cute summer dresses, too! Your adorable kid will look even more scrumptious!
3. Hot Biscuit Mikihouse’s Animal Caps! – only $70 USD
how adorable!! Just fell in love!
These hats are a definitely a must-have for your child’s wardrobe! Look at the adorable eyes and ears! These hats are made for young infants, up to 4 months. Babies can rock awesome snaptees AND these cute animal hats! The Bear Caps will block out the sun for your even more stylish babe!
4. Floppy Hats – $13 USD
adorable floppy hats!
These hats will be great for the beach and just any outdoor activities! The floppy-ness will block the sun’s rays. Greatly matched with tank tops and simple yet cool summer outfits. There are three different sizes and colors for all children! Pink, Navy Blue, and White (not shown above) are ready to block out the sun’s rays!
Remember to check out these cute hats in-stores, at Babesta Threads, located on 66 West Broadway, New York, NY. You will definitely not regret it!
all our cute hats together!
AND! Please check out our fun hat Vine video here!
Beware of cute, cuddly monsters!! They are hiding out in Babesta, awaiting your visits! We brought together Babesta Cribz and Threads for an even better experience! These will be great summer fashions, as well as back to school fashions. After seeing all these monsters, don’t you get the feeling that monsters are actually cuddly and lovable?
Please check them out in-stores and online!! (click on the links below!)
From the left corner to right:
Top left corner:
1) Every fashionista needs the Akamay Fashionista Fur Vest! It is warm, stylish, and fuzzy! This vest will definitely go well with any outfit, as long as the fashionista dons a nice pair of Sons and Daugthers sunglasses and a stylish attitude!
2) The Skull V-Neck Sweater will look so nice with a pair of jeans or even the leggings, which will be talked about next! A great fall essential! It can even be worn on rainy days during the summer, with a cute pair of shorts. Great for both boys and girls!
3) The Hob Goblin Baby Legsdo look a little scary, but when your baby wears it, I’m sure the “ehh” will immediately change into “how adorable!”. Baby Legs keep your babies’ legs warm and safe! Babies’ bodies temperatures vary with adult’s bodies. So inside air conditioned rooms, I’m sure your baby will appreciate that you put on their Baby Legs!
4) Cosy Ruched Leggings will look amazing on your babe! It sure seems comfortable, and I really want one! They can be worn with not only the Skull V-neck, but with any shirt or tank! It is definitely an essential to your babe’s wardrobe!
Top Right Corner:
1) The Ulm Cribis made from beautiful and sustainably harvested solid birch and birch plywood. This mattress platform has three adjustable positions for your growing babe! It has a beautiful color that certainly reminds me of the mid-century- very elegant.
2) All theUgly Dolls are trapped!! They are certainly the cutest dolls ever! At Babesta, there are so many different Ugly Dolls that you can get to know. From Nimah to Chef Babo, they are such lovable creatures with different personalities. They do have one thing in common besides being cute… they are oh so lovable!!
Bottom Left Corner:
1) Mad Pax’s Bubble Backpack is probably the best thing created!! At Babesta we have it in two different colors, but all of them are so cool! Very spacious backpacks that every kid will want! It is overloading with greatness!
2) Mad Pax’s Spiketus Rex Backpack reminds me of a mini dinosaur. Your babe will look so adorable with it! They come in different colors and will match with any outfit. All of Mad Pax’s backpacks are spacious. Even teens and adults can wear it!
Bottom Right Corner:
Our most monster like collection of snaptees and tees!
1) The Big in Japan Tee is in black, pink, light blue, and gray. Just choose a color and we got it!
2) Our all time favorite Snaptee/Tee… I Believe in Snuffleupagus!! How adorable will your babe look in this snaptee?! Definitely for the imaginative souls! Warning: you might be stunned by cuteness!
3) Monsters Need Love Too!! This snaptee/ tee really makes monsters look cuddly and adorable. They have feelings too! Pair it with a cute pair of leggings, or with a cute pair of yellow jeans!
4) An Outerspace Tee? Sadly these are not snaptees! However, your kid will look exceptionally cool with this tee. A comfortable tee that can be paired with a pair of jeans, shorts, leggings, or even with skirts!
Do you finally feel that monsters are adorable and lovable?
No one can resist ice cream, cupcakes, pizza, and cookies! I know, it’s not the healthiest choice of foods, but once in a while, it doesn’t hurt to take a bite of a moist chocolate peanut butter cupcake, or indulge in a large bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream. This post is for those who love cooking, whether amazing at it or not. This post is dedicated to all those people who love creating their own recipes! This is for the people who love eating new things! Upon scrolling down Pinterest, I came across so many homemade recipes that I just couldn’t resist. It’s lunchtime and my stomach is extra grouchy now! Can’t wait until I go home and make some of these! I’ll list the top three recipes that I really want to share to everyone!!
Remember to click on the photos for the recipe sharers’ websites!
Number One. HomemadeFunfettiSugarCookies.
Soft and yummy sprinkle cookies! Photo by Averie Sunshine.
Thank you to Averie Sunshine for this amazing recipe. Just staring at the pictures make my mouth water. When I usually make Funfetti cookies, I use the typical Pillsbury Funfetti Cupcake mix and just add more flour. This seems so much better, and from now on, I’m pretty sure I’ll get rid of the boxes and make cookies from scratch!
What you will need:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons clear imitation vanilla extract (real vanilla extract may be substituted)
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons corn starch
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt, optional and to taste
3/4 cup sprinkles
Directions (my short version):
1) In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the butter, sugar, egg, and extract, on medium-high speed until well-creamed, light and fluffy, for about 5 minutes (or use a hand mixer and beat for at least 7 minutes).
2) Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix well for about 1 minute.
3) Add the SPRINKLES and mix briefly!
4) Using a mini cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, form mounds on a large plate. Flatten them gently and place them in the fridge for 2 hours to 5 days.
5) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with wax paper, or spray it with cooking spray. Place all cookies at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 minutes, no more than 9! Take them out, let it cool for 5 minutes, then place on the plate and devour it!!
6) You can store these cookies for up to one week in room temperature, or you can freeze them! You can use these for toppings to ice cream sundaes as well!
Number Two. BaconCheeseburgerSkilletPizza.
Yummy lookin’ pizza! Photo by how sweet eats.
Traditional pepperoni pizzas and Hawaiian pizzas can get a bit boring. Thankfully, how sweet eats has shared such an amazing recipe!! A Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet Pizza. Yes. A BACON CHEESEBURGER PIZZA.
What you will need:
1 1/8 cups warm water
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
A lot of ingredients that will serve your stomach justice.
1) In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey, and oliveoil; mix with spoon, then let it sit until foamy (about 10 minutes). Add 2 1/2 cups of flour and salt. Mix with spoon, until a sticky dough forms.
2) Using your hands, form the dough into a ball, while using the 1/2 cup of flour, kneading it onto a floured surface.
3) Lather the same bowl with olive oil. Put dough inside, roll it around to get an even coat of olive oil everywhere. Place a towel over it, and let it sit in a warm place to rise, for 1 1/2 hours.
4) After it has risen, place onto the floured surface, punch it down, and divide it into two or three pieces (depends on the size of your skillet).
5) Place one of the dough onto a heavily floured pizza peel. Roll it out to the size of your skillet.
1) Heat a nonstick pan. Add seasoned beef (salt, pepper, onion powder). Bread the beef into small pieces. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Drain any liquid from the skillet.
2) Combine ketchup and mustard. Use half for one and half for the other!!
3) Spread half of sauce onto dough. Sprinkle lightly with cheddar.
4) Add half of the beef on top. Sprinkle with more cheese and some bacon!! (Lightly cook bacon so it doesn’t burn while cooking!)
5) Put an oven rack directly under your broiler. Set it to the highest setting!
6) Place iron skillet on the stovetop burner on HIGH heat. Heat the skillet for 10 minutes. (If it smokes a lot, turn down the heat!)
7) Remember to cover the handle of the skillet with a potholder or a thick towel. Gently slide the pizza onto the skillet.
8) After 30 seconds, turn off the burner. Stick the skillet under the broiler.
9) After one minute, turn the skillet 180 degrees. Wait another minute.
10) Take it out. Let it cool for five minutes. Cover with lettuce and tomatoes (and whatever else you would like!).
Number Three. HomemadePop-Tarts.
Yummy pop-tarts!! Photo by smitten kitchen
Pop tarts are one of my favorite snacks. The strawberry and s’mores pop tarts are my weaknesses! Everyone must have eaten a pop tart once in their life! But no one probably thought of making them at home! Imagine creating a new pop tart flavor that no one has ever tasted before! What’s amazing about this recipe is that you can add any flavor you want; you can also create your own color to frost the pop-tart!
What you will need:
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into pats
1 large egg
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) milk
1 additional large egg (to brush on pastry)
1) Mix the flour, sugar, and salt.
2) Work in the butter with your hands or a food processor until it is pea-sized.
3) Mix One Egg and the milk. Add the liquid mixture into the dough.
4) Knead the dough briefly on a floured countertop.
5) Divide the dough in half. Roll out into rectangles, sized 3 x 5. (You may refrigerate the dough if not immediately baking.)
6) Roll the divided doughs to a thickness of 1/8″. Trim both to an even 9″ x 12″. Cut each piece to thirds (There should be 9 rectangles.)
7) Beat the additional egg. Brush it over the entire surface of the first dough. (The egg will help hold the two doughs.)
8) Add any filling you desire. (Nutella, Jam, Fruit, etc.). Put the second piece of dough over the first. Press around the dough with your fingers; use a fork to gently press it and seal it completely.
9) Preheat the oven to a nice 350 degrees! Chill the dough, uncovered, for about 10 minutes as the oven heats up.
10) Bake for 20 – 25 minutes! Let it cool before eating!
Note from smitten kitchen: They stated that their kitchen was a typical NYC kitchen that gets really hot! Your dough may be too warm and soft to work with if your kitchen is too warm. So if this describes your kitchen, you can freeze the dough for about 10 minutes to get it to the perfect consistency.
I believe that to every great outfit, there should be a great bag that follows (of course, shoes should match well, too!). With our city kids in mind, I felt it necessary to gather a lot of backpacks from Babesta that would be light, cute, and stylish! These backpacks can be used for: mini vacations, trips to the pool/beach, and even for school! All bags are adorable and have the same theme: animals !
I love animals of all shapes, colors, and sizes. Sharks may seem scary, but in reality, they are very adorable creatures…on our backpacks that is! Dinosaurs may seem scary, but they are pretty friendly! They always give a hand by carrying my lunch and books! They can carry yours, too! Adults and children will love these animal styled backpacks by Skiphop, Mad Pax, and Anais & I.
Not so scary animal backpacks!
Bring these friends along everywhere and make great memories!
No one enjoys hot, sweaty feet!! How stinky! P. U.! I have gathered all of Babesta’s summer kicks that provide a lot of comfort and coolness for the hot, sticky weather! These adorable and stylish kicks will go well with possibly any outfit! It is very important that our stylish babes look even better with awesome shoes!
Check out our kicks onlineor in-stores! Also check out our animal bags post!
We have new plush toys that just came in stores at both Babesta Cribz and Threads! These join some old faves that we try to keep on our shelves (though it’s hard, they’re soooo lovable)
We received new plush toys and mini figurines from kidrobot. Their Yummy Plushes range from: black & white cookies, blue frosted donuts, chocolate frosted donuts, etc. We also received key chains of these Yummy Plushes! Be sure to check it out!
We also want to show off SkipHop’s collection of toys aimed at our city babies! Hug & Hide Stroller Toys, activity gyms, duck bath toys, alphabet zoo mirrors, and more! Playsam also has babystroller toys and YoYos!
Toys are a great way to raise a child’s imagination! Toys will definitely entertain our awesome city kids!
Do you love watching old films? Do you love music and the large crowd atmosphere? Well, according to timeout, until August 14th, there will be an outdoor movie viewing for adults and tweens! Every Wednesday, this event will be held at McCarren Park between Leonard and North 12 St. For Subway surfers, take the: L Subway to Lorimer St, G to Nassau Ave.
The audience gets to vote for a movie that they enjoy for the final day! This audience is targeted for mainly adults and tweens, but for fun family nights, definitely visit and watch Pee Wee’s Big Adventure and The Goonies! This is Summerscreen’s 8th year hosting this awesome event! Summerscreen will open their doors at 6PM, and live music will start up at 6:30PM. Movies will be screened at sundown! Be sure to bring snacks, blankets, cameras, and smiles!