One of the biggest problems in the city is how to get a toddler around in a cab or car service safely and easily. Enter, UberFamily to solve the problem. We had first heard about this revelation while it was in development from Dr. Alisa Baer, “The Car Seat Lady” who collaborated with Uber on the service. Now a couple months in, it’s addressing a true, underserved need in the market, much to city parents’ delight. She trained and certified the highest rated UberX partner drivers on how to safely secure the car seat so you know its properly installed in the car.
Uber now offers an on-demand car seat option for a $10 surcharge (additional to the UberX rates). That’s a small price to pay for a lot of peace of mind.
Time to get cool! Our summer sale is going on at Babesta and we have the best indie brands–Munster Kids boys and girls clothing, Sons + Daughters sunglasses, Ruff & Huddle shorts and more. Snap up your faves to be spot on style for the summer! Meanwhile, we’re prepping the shop for fall, Back-to-School, if you can believe it! (As much as we love B-2-S, it’s so hard to think of sweaters and jeans when it’s soooooo darn hot!)
We love the latest car seat by Cybex, the Aton Q. Does it make the grade? We say decidedly yes!
Beauty: A+: It’s got an XXL canopy, comes in lots of fashion colors (but we’re New Yorkers, so we’ll almost always go for black) and is made with premium fabrics. It’s sleek and modern and as far as car seats go, it’s a stunner.
Brains: A++: Superior side impact protection ensures forces are distributed in the car seat shell, away from baby; it features super easy and secure installation; and requires no rethreading the straps—the adjustable headrest does it for you! To boot, the seat’s even safer for preemies due to super flat positioning.
Also, like the Aton 2, the seat has a load leg that reduces forward pitching of the seat, reducing the stress on your baby’s head and neck in case of an accident, is washable and works seamlessly with a range of strollers making for an easy travel system.
Here are some of the features in detail:
Superior Side Impact Protection: The seat features “Telescopic Linear Side-impact Protection”, which means that in an accident, the first forces are transferred by the pull out side protector facing the door and distributed to the car seat shell, thereby absorbing the forces of the impact and channeling them away from baby. This is an upgrade from the Aton 2 increasing the safety quotient.
Automatic height adjustment of the seat: For preemies and newborns especially, the angle of the head, neck and chest is important, as the wrong position can create breathing difficulties. The new Cybex Q adjusts the sitting angle as the baby grows and you adjust the headrest.
No more rethreading straps! With the new 8-position height-adjustable headrest with integrated harness guide, the length of the harness changes automatically when the headrest is adjusted. This prevents any need for the difficult threading in and out of the harness and makes it almost impossible to misuse.
An XXL foldaway sun canopy: UVP 50+ sun canopy protecting baby’s skin. It also protects from wind and rain!
Easy travel system: The Aton Q infant car seat can be effortlessly converted into a travel system with many buggies and strollers.
Load leg reduces forward movement upon impact decreasing the stress on your child’s neck and head in the event of a collision. The load leg distributes the force into the back of the car seat instead.
Seat is equipped with EPS foam, which absorbs energy in a collision.
The Aton Q base’s belt-tensioning plates makes installation quick and easy using latch or safety belts
Seat release is two-step.
Seat features five point harness with shoulder and buckle pads.
It’s super light – only 8.8 lbs (seat) and 10.25 lbs (base)
Removable infant insert to position newborns and newborn inlay
Indicator confirms the correct attachment of carrier to base (again, making correct installation easy!)
Breathable fabric covers are machine washable
The new Cybex Aton Q infant car seat is suitable for children weighing 4-35 pounds, and up to 30” tall. Comes with a car seat and base. Additional bases (for additional cars) are available separately.
It’s a jungle at Babesta this days, what with all of the super cool animal-themed goods, from onesies and tees to pull toys, sneakers and rattles. Check out some of our fauna inspired faves in the shop right now! Shop the Babesta Jungle! http://bit.ly/1nieYv1
Some new Oeuf and Apple Park in the house. We are mad about these adorable layette pieces by Oeuf NYC! Pima cotton makes them oh-so-soft while the simple design is so sweet. The Apple Park rattles and extras are the icing on the carrot cake!
It’s that time of year again…. SHARK WEEK. If you’re anything like us, the ocean makes you a little nervous right around now (what do you mean the Megalodon doc was fake?) but don’t let that keep you out of the water altogether. With Boon Inc. Dive Bath Appliques and Yikes Twins Shark Towels inject bath time with some sharp, shark week friendly accessories. Or maybe you’re a little extra inquisitive about what’s hiding in the deep; there’s A Strange Place to Call Home, Love the Earth, and What Animals Really Like to sate your curiosity. And of course, there’s plenty of nautically inspired outfits to put together. We’re especially into Native’s JeffersonSlip-On, La Miniatura’s Ocean Blue Jeans, and Beatrix’s Shark Gear. There’s so much to take a bite out of for shark week, you might need a bigger shopping cart!
I try to excel in gifting. Finding something just perfect for a niece or nephew, for a birthday or an anniversary. To make things easy on you, I’ve arranged a few gift ideas that babies and children of all ages will definitely love! Check them out in-stores and online!
1) Baby Johnny Sneaker Socks: Six pairs of bright high-top tennis shoe baby socks. How adorable? Sneaker Socks! We have more designs such as Yo Gabba Gabba socks, Skater Socks, Neon Socks, etc.
2) What Happens at Grandmas Snaptee/Tee: Who doesn’t want a Snaptee or tee in this style? Classic. Grandma lets you eat more candy, and word on the street is, with her, you have no bedtime. Such a great way for our kids to show off their love for grammy!
3) Rockabye Baby Muse CD: A calming gift that parents will thank you for! Babies can rock out lullaby style and fall asleep, dreaming about their rockstar life. There are more renditions like the Beatles’, Van Halen’s, the Smiths’, the White Stripes’, etc.
4) Dog Zoo Bib: These bibs are not only cute, but they fold up! Easy to store, easy to wash! This adorable face will surely bring joy to your gift receiver and you!
5) Lion Rattle: Fear not! These lions are adorable and sweet! They aren’t vicious, and they rattle! Your baby will have so much fun making their own music and being intrigued at how calm the lion is.
6) Baby Legs Mr. Peter Rabbit: Little ones will be hoppin’ with joy each time he wears this leg warmer! Baby Legs keep babies’ legs warm while looking stylish and cute. Definitely a must have! Check out the other styles!
7) Alphabet Zoo Activity Mirror: Babies can play peek-a-boo while playing with the plush elephant, monkey, and birdie. This can be set up outside and inside! It is easy to carry, and the gift receiver will enjoy this and thank you!!
8) I believe in Snuffleupagus Snaptee/Tee: Can I have one in my size? This is for those who love using their imagination and believe in fantasies! What’s even better? This Snaptee/Tee comes in so many colors!
9) Pronto Chevron: Great for the parents! Designed by Jonathan Adler, this mobile changing station will be small enough to fit into any diaper bag, and when in need, it will spread open so that your baby can be clean.
10) Metro Card Rattle: Babies will love receiving this because it shows off the perks of being a city kid! It’s cute and fun! With the Metro Card Rattle, your baby can keep busy when traveling.
11) Rockin Diaper Cake with Ugly Doll (center): These are made to order cakes that can be great for any shower! Three layers of diapers are wrapped in an orange ribbon and topped with an Uglydoll of your choice. The cake sits on top of a Vinyl record. Wish I got something like this when I was a baby! This gift will surely be the talk of the century!